November 7th, 2019
1. The Rockefeller Christmas tree in 2018 was decorated with 50,000 LED holiday lights (approx. 5 miles) and it was topped with a Swarovski-crystal star that had 3 million crystals and 70 glass spikes. On Christmas day, the Christmas tree lights shine for a full 24 hours.
2. The Guinness World Record for “Most Lights on a Residential Property” is held by the Gay Family from LaGrangeville, NY. The total number of holiday lights on their holiday display was 601,736 in 2014.The holiday light display is spread across two acres and takes about two months to build. It is synchronized to music of more than 200 songs, including top-40 hits and holiday favorites.
3. Thomas Edison and Edward Johnson created the first strand of electric lights in 1880. Edison displayed the lights on the outside of his Menlo Park Laboratory. The first people to see them were train passengers riding by the building.
4. Albert Sadacca, a 15-year-old boy, helped make the lights popular by adapting the lighting his parents sold for Christmas trees, by painting the bulbs red, green, and other colors. It was then that the lighting business took off.
5. It is estimated that more than 150 million light sets are sold in America each year.
6. It is estimated that more than 80 million homes are decorated with holiday lights.
7. The Movie how the Grinch Stole Christmas features more than 52,000 Christmas lights.
8. About 5,800 people are hospitalized annually for injuries involving falls while decorating their houses for the holidays.
9. The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimated that in 2016 there were 14,700 people hospitalized for injuries involving holiday lights, Christmas trees, and other decorations.
10. On average about 240 injuries per day during the months of November and December have been reported.
Call 630-201-9627 today for a free quote!
It’s a Wonderful Light is Chicago’s premier holiday lighting installation service, servicing the Chicagoland area including Winnetka, Barrington, Glen Ellyn, Naperville, St. Charles, Wayne, and Geneva, and the surrounding suburbs.